Purchase carbon credits that are good for humans, animals, and the planet.

restaurant FOOD PROCUREMENT CREDITS
We work with institutions like schools, hospitals, and retirement homes to implement plant-based menus and quantify the avoided upstream emissions. We streamline the measurement, reporting, and verification (MRV) process, enabling institutiona to receive verified carbon credits. Credit sales finance the up-front project costs, and provide an incentive to continue reducing Scope 3 emissions.
accessibility CO-BENEFITS
In addition to their environmental impact, food procurement credits help increase access to healthy, plant-based foods.
agriculture FARM TRANSITION CREDITS
We provide up-front financing for livestock farmers who want to switch to more sustainable crops but don’t have the capital to do so. As they phase out their livestock operation, Climate Refarm calculates the avoided emissions and pays off the initial investment using the the carbon credit sales.
accessibilityCO-BENEFITS
Due to the concentrated nature of livestock operations, transitioning a single farm can avoid a significant amount of emissions. Most importantly, it provides livestock farmers with a viable alternative amidst industry consolidation and financial hardship.

OUR RESEARCH

Our team leverages a background in economics, mathematics, and data science to calculate the environmental impact of food production.

First and foremost, we’re committed to scientific rigor and transparency. For every credit we sell, we’ll provide a clear explanation of our methodology and show you all of the data that went into the carbon accounting.

Our Team & VALUES

INTERESTED IN PURCHASING CREDITS?

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do you calculate and verify emission reductions from food procurement?

keyboard_arrow_down

Climate Refarm uses publicly available, peer-reviewed life cycle assessments (LCAs) of food products to determine their environmental impact. Our methodology requires that emission factors be specific to the geographic region and farming practices where a food was produced. We also account for leakage by modeling the market effects of reduced demand for animal products.

How do you calculate and emission reductions from farm transitions?

keyboard_arrow_down

We perform a comprehensive life cycle assessment of the farm's operations before and after the transition. This includes feed, fertilizer, energy use, methane enteric fermentation, manure, machinery, and many other factors. In addition, we apply an econometric model to account for changes in market price and subsequent increased production across other livestock farms.

How do you ensure additionality?

keyboard_arrow_down

Institutions can only receive carbon credits for food procurement if they demonstrate a key financial or technical barrier to shifting their practices, such as the need for staff training, outside culinary expertise, administrative costs, or higher prices for plant-based substitutes.

For farm transitions, we check whether the capital costs of switching to a new crop have prevented a farmer from doing so. In many cases, debt and sunk capital costs make it impossible to re-purpose their farm without investment.

Who verifies your carbon credits?

keyboard_arrow_down

All of our methodologies and credits will be verified through independent, third-party carbon registries. We're working through the methodology approval process with them now.

Do you take a cut of the carbon credit sales?

keyboard_arrow_down

We give 75% of each credit sale to the institution or farmer, and use the remaining 25% to cover our R&D and operational costs.

When will your methodologies be ready?

keyboard_arrow_down

For plant-based food procurement, we're working through the methodology approval process with carbon registries right now, and expect to launch pilot projects in Q4 2022. We published our initial research on farm transitions here, and will begin the approval process for that methodology soon.